[CLN-list] cln/ginac port to windows

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at metalica.kh.ua
Tue Aug 25 12:20:59 CEST 2009

Hello,

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 05:11:15PM -0400, Michael Miller wrote:
> Having a need to do high-precision calculations in both Linux and
> Windows, I've ported cln and ginac to Windows,

Porting is the process of adapting software so it can run on a hardware,
OS, compiler, etc different from one for which it was originally designed.
CLN (as of 1.3.x) builds (with GNU compiler) and runs on Windows just fine,
so porting CLN (and GiNaC) to Windows is a no-op. Perhaps you mean 'built'?

> and I thought it'd be appropriate to share the results.

It's also a good idea to check if some else already done it (hint: see
http://www.ginac.de/Download.html)

> I have:
>
> 1) A 47MB zip file, containing
>    - the gcc compiler, ported under mingw, along with the gmp and cln
>      libraries
>    - the notepad++ editor
>    - a batch file that allows notepad++ to be used as a simple ide

Downloading 40+ Mb just to get CLN (or GiNaC) installed might be inconvenient
(think about slow network connection, etc). Also quite a number of (Windows)
users have MinGW installed (or can download it from a fast(er) mirror). So I
don't think it's a good idea to ship compiler (and IDE) along with CLN (and/or
GiNaC).

Best regards,
	Alexei