[GiNaC-list] ginac and openmp

Vitaly Magerya vmagerya at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 10:55:28 CET 2017

On 12/03/2017 10:28 AM, Vladimir V. Kisil wrote:

>     TR> thanks. Are there any efforts to change this ?? I think it might
>     TR> be useful (in general) for future users/ developments/ etc
>
>     My understanding: for automated simplifications GiNaC produces a
>   large amount of dynamically created objects and they are internally
>   indexed by consecutive numbers. If parts of an expression are
>   transformed in parallel threads, then there will be inconsistency
>   between different objects with the same index.

Additionally, GiNaC and CLN both use reference counting for garbage
collection of their objects. The naive approach to make that thread-safe
is to add locks around reference counting operations -- and that
involves a performance penalty (which probably grows the more processors
you have).

I did a small experiment to simply change reference counts into atomic
variables, and got an instant 30% performance hit for single-threaded
code on a 2-core machine, and maybe a 20% overall performance
improvement for one particular '#program omp for' loop from my code (in
the instances when it didn't crash; changing the reference counts to
atomics is not enough to make the whole thing thread-safe, I only did it
to measure potential performance impact).

There's potentially a different way to solve garbage collection problem:
just drop all of the reference counting code, and link with something
like Boehm GC [1], which is known to work (and even well) in
multi-threaded environment. If anyone wants to investigate the potential
performance impact/benefit of this approach, I would really like to see
the results.

In the mean while, I think a more practical way to scale GiNaC code to
multi-processor systems is process-based parallelism and message
passing. Fortunately GiNaC's 'archive' class provides a fairly
convenient and reasonably fast way to serialize/deserialize arbitrary
'ex' objects, so you could build a sort of map-reduce thing on top of
that and your favorite message-passing library (e.g. MPI, ZeroMQ, that
sort of thing) and use it instead of '#program omp for'.

This is much less convenient than OpenMP, of course, and requires a good
bit more of engineering effort.

[1] http://www.hboehm.info/gc/