[GiNaC-list] Given a formal iterated derivative (GiNaC::fderivative), what actually is it?

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at in.terlu.de
Mon Apr 11 22:03:23 CEST 2016

Hi Vladimir,

On 04/11/2016 12:52 PM, Vladimir V. Kisil wrote:
>     RK> Problem with that patch is that it breaks existing code which
>     RK> iterates over an fderivative object and doesn't expect the extra
>     RK> operand. I think we should find another way to expose the
>     RK> derivative structure.
>
>     OK, do you think if the patch will be re-written as a new method
>   fderivative::get_der_indices() would be better?

Yes, for the reason quoted above I think this should be a separate function.

Considering that there is a public constructor with a paramset as
argument, we can as well provide a const accessor member function to
parameter_set and that's it. (True also, however, that said constructor
could be protected.)

Or maybe some completely different interface? What about this one:
        // how many times this function is derived with respect to
parameter number param
        unsigned derived(unsigned param) const;

That's why I was asking what the purpose is.

All my best,
<http://in.terlu.de/~kreckel/>