[GiNaC-list] solving differential equations symbolically or numerically with C++

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Mon Sep 1 16:55:44 CEST 2008

Hello!

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 02:21:34PM +0200, Alessandro Bernardini wrote:

> Of particular importance is the solution of differential equations
> (symbolically or numerically; for ODEs or PDEs),

GiNaC does not provide such functionality. Have a look at

- GNU octave (http://www.gnu.org/software/octave)
- GNU scientific library (http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl)
- PETCs library (http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-as)

> so as variable precision arithmetic.

I'm just curious: why one would want to use bignums for solving ODEs (PDEs)
numerically? I doubt Runge-Kutta (FEM) will ever give result with 53-bit
accuracy, so storing even more mantissa bits is kind of pointless, isn't it?

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.