[GiNaC-list] separating expressions into parts

Krishna Mohan Gundu gkmohan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 05:09:11 CET 2008

Hi,

I would like to represent an expression as a product of a scalar
expression and a vector expression. This would enable me to extract
these parts of the expression trivially instead of scanning the prod
sequence (and hence is more optimal). However I am not clear how this
can be done in ginac. For example, when multiplying a scalar
expression with a rhs expression, I would like to absorb the scalar
expression into the scalar expression of the rhs. This requires
modifying operator*(ex,ex). Is there a better way to do it? I would
appreciate any help.

example use cases:
symbol s1, s2, s3; // scalars
vector v1, v2, v3; // vectors
myex e1(s1, (s2*v3 + s1*v2));     // initialized to: e1.scalar = s1;
e1.vector = (s2*v3 + s3*v2)
myex e2 = s3 * e1; // should produce: e2.scalar = s3 * s1; e2.vector =
(s2*v3 + s3*v2)
myex e3 = cross_prod(e, v1); // should produce: e3.scalar = s1;
e3.vector = cross_prod(s2*v3 + s3*v2, v1);

thanks,
Krishna.