[GiNaC-list] Checking consistency of units in GiNaC

John Pye john.pye at student.unsw.edu.au
Thu Jul 21 08:54:07 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Has anyone tried to add *units-of-measurement checking* to GiNaC?

I have some nice unit-checking code here as part of the freesteam project,
http://pye.dyndns.org/freesteam/docs/class_units.html

This class prevents things like "1 * bar + 3 * kg", and also ensures
validity of things like "Density rho = 5 * kg / (2 * metre2)"

This units class could conceivably be extended to pass through
expressions rather than simple numerical results, but operations like
differentiation might need to become units-savvy I suspect.

Does anyone have any comments on the advisability / feasibility of
trying to do this, or have any references I should follow up relating to
other people attempting this?

Cheers

JP

--
John Pye
School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering