symbol non-commutative?

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Mon Aug 25 21:56:39 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Christian Bauer wrote:
[...]
> Introducing noncommutative objects probably exceeds the domain on which
> the algorithm used by the linear solver is defined. Manually choosing a
> different algorithm (maybe "solve_algo::divfree"?) may fix this. Richy?

No.

You might be able to bring the augmented matrix into *some* division free
form but not having to divide doen't mean you don't have to care about
whether the algorithm multiplies those matrix entries from the left or
from the right.  Besides, backsubstituting would leave the integral domain
anyway and as soon as one enters the corresponding quotient field one
would need to have an inverse handy -- likely for every denominator that
appears during backsubstituting.

I am not saying that it cannot be done.  I don't know.  But the algorithms
provided in class matrix are not sufficient.

HTH
<Richard.Kreckel at GiNaC.DE>