'make check' fails!

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Tue Jul 16 12:28:16 CEST 2002

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, William Woods wrote:
> I'm compiling GiNaC 1.0.9 with gcc3.1, and everything
> seems to go ok, no error messages from 'make'. But
> 'make check' - which also compiles fine - fails on all
> three tests. CLN tests ran fine. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will
>

> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/home/will/tmp/GiNaC-1.0.9/check'
> GiNaC will now take an exam with specific input (like
> a pupils' exam):
> examining several historic failures just out of
> paranoia.............. passed
> examining consistency of numeric
> types....../run_exams: line 3: 27225 Aborted
>       ./exams 2>exams.out
> cmp: EOF on exams.out
> FAIL: run_exams
> GiNaC will now run through some rather costly random
> consistency checks:
> checking consistency of numeric types.. passed
> checking consistency of symbolic functions.... passed
> checking symbolic matrix manipulations..... passed
> checking linear solve....../run_checks: line 3: 27249
> Aborted                 ./checks 2>checks.out
> cmp: EOF on checks.out
> FAIL: run_checks
> GiNaC will now run through some basic timings:
> timing commutative expansion and substitution....
> passed
>         size:   25      50      100     200
>         time/s: 0.01    0.04    0.19    0.88
> timing Laurent series expansion of Gamma
> function./run_times: line 3: 27277 Aborted
>    ./times 2>times.out
> cmp: EOF on times.out
> FAIL: run_times
> ===================
> 3 of 3 tests failed
> ===================
> make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/home/will/tmp/GiNaC-1.0.9/check'
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/will/tmp/GiNaC-1.0.9/check'
> make: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

Judging from the pattern of failures it seems that it crashes whenever an
exception is thrown.  Probably exceptions go uncatched, for whatever
reason.

In any case, CLN 1.1.5 and GiNaC 1.0.x have been tested with GCC 3.1 on a
variety of platforms!  Please tell us exactly what platform you have,
which compiler-flags you passed, how you configured and if there was
anything suspicious.  I'll try to reproduce it then.

Regards
<Richard.Kreckel at Uni-Mainz.DE>
<http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~kreckel/>