still problems

Tilman Utz Tilman.Utz at studserv.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Sep 19 00:31:13 CEST 2000

Hi folks,
once again I have to ask for your help and advice, although I some
moments of success, the great breakthrough is still missing.
A lot of my problems in making the library (cln and ginac) resulted from
the Windows habit of changing the case of file- and directorynames, e.g.
from gmp.h to Gmp.h, so the Makefile didn't find the file. How about
you, do you have problems with that, too, and how to prevent it? Well, I
changed the filenames by hand and might have missed some. So, the
problems I encounter with configure may be a result of that.
Here's, what I did and what I got:
No problems with installing cygwin 1.1.4
cln-1.0.3 was unzipped and untared to /usr/local, path changed to
/usr/local/cln-1.0.3
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
after a while, configure aborts with the message, that it couldn't
determine host-type, because config.guess was missing (./config failed
for gmp), well, the file is there, but not in ./gmp but in ./autoconf. I
move config.guess and later config.sub to ./gmp, then, configure
finished without error messages, but in the config.log-File, there are
still messages, which are like below:
configure:1894: alloca.h: No such file or directory
configure: failed program was:
#line 1893 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <alloca.h>
int main() {
char *p = (char *) alloca(2 * sizeof(int));
; return 0; }
similar for filenames like that: fpu_control.h (I can send you the
config.log if it might help...)
trying the  ./configure command again, these errormessages disappear...
After executing about half an hour of the Makefile, make stops editing a
bunch of errors like:
../src/.libs/libcln.a(cl_F_extendsqrtx.o)(.text+0x611):cl_F_extendsqrtx.cc:
unde
fined reference to `_GLOBAL_$D$cl_module__cl_ieee__firstglobalfun'
../src/.libs/libcln.a(cl_LF_scale_I.o)(.text+0x532):cl_LF_scale_I.cc:
undefined
reference to `_GLOBAL_$I$cl_module__cl_ieee__firstglobalfun'
../src/.libs/libcln.a(cl_LF_scale_I.o)(.text+0x539):cl_LF_scale_I.cc:
undefined
reference to `_GLOBAL_$D$cl_module__cl_ieee__firstglobalfun'
../src/.libs/libcln.a(cl_F_floor22.o)(.text+0x4a6):cl_F_floor22.cc:
undefined re
ference to `_GLOBAL_$I$cl_module__cl_ieee__firstglobalfun'
These occur while the Linker (ld is a linker, isn't it?) is working

Within Linux I'm slightly better off. Although I get the config.log
errors like above, too, making, checking and installing cln and Ginac
works without obvious errors. The GiNaC tests are passed, too, compiling
the example program from the GiNaC documentation, works too, but
executing the file results in the error that lbginac.0.6.so.3 is not
found (although it's in /usr/local/lib).

Do you have an idea, what's wrong with my system or the way I try to
build the libraries?
I have a PentiumIII 600  128MB of RAM, Windows98 and cygwin 1.1.4
installed.

Is it possible to transfer the compiled libraries from Linux to cygwin
(I mean, gcc is gcc, isn't it?) because I'm more hopeful to bring the
libraries to work with LINUX than with Windows...

Thanks a lot in advance
Tilman Utz
-
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to ginac-list at ginac.de with a subject of "unsubscribe".