Can't compile ginsh

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ThEP.Physik.Uni-Mainz.DE
Fri Dec 10 15:37:34 CET 1999

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999 Gunnar.Isaksson at saab.se wrote:

> I have compiled GiNaC on a Debian Linux Potato box.
Congrats!

> The library compiled OK and I have successfully tested a few examples
> from the tutorial with correct result.
>
> However I can't get ginsh to compile, it fails on ginsh_parser.cc. Any
> tips/patches?

No patches.  Probably you have switched on -ansi or -pedantic at your
compiler's flags?  What happens is that the header files for libreadline2
(which is the version on Debian Potato) are broken from a C++ point of
view.  If you don't force your compiler to be too picky about that it will
compile.  (Don't worry, Matthias Klose who is the libreadline maintainer
for Debian has reassured that he will package libreadline 4.1 as soon as
it comes out and libreadline 4.0 if 4.1 doesn't appear in December.  4.0
compiles even with gcc -ansi -pedantic.)

Happy hacking
           -rbk.
--
Richard Kreckel