[GiNaC-devel] Symbolic Integration

Remco Bloemen remco.bloemen at gmail.com
Wed May 16 14:31:00 CEST 2007

Dear developers,

I have been using the Ginac library for some of my hobby programs now and I
believe a generic C++ CAS would be very valuable.

I have grown interest in symbolic integration and tried implementing
polynomial factorization, it seems quite hard to do efficiently, but doable.

I have even bought the book mentioned in the todo list (the second edition).
Altough I have just began to read it the book mentions that some recent
algorithms for trancedental integration do not require polynomial
factorization. So I would like to try and implement one of these algo's.

My question is, what are your thoughts on how to implement integration in a
nice fashion? I tought about implementing some kind of antiderivative
operator wich can be used in expressions and gives the indefinite integral.
The reason I preffer operators to member function is that it allows
unsolvable integrals to remain in the equation and still be numerically
evaluable. In this fashion I would like to create a differential operator so
ODE's and PDE's can be expressed in Ginac and numerically solved.

The hobby program I am trying to make should become a generic numerical
integrator for arbitrary PDE's by dynamicaly generating code. I already have
a class that converts an expression to its Chebyshev-Pade approximation,
compiles it to double arithmetic and dynamicly links it in.

So gentleman, what are your thoughts?

Sincerely,
R. Bloemen