[GiNaC-devel] AsyForGiNaC - an output extension producing Asymptote files

Vladimir Kisil kisilv at maths.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Aug 18 15:09:53 CEST 2006

    JV> GiNaC will _never_ ever DRAW things (unless we link it against
    JV> OpenGL or something similar ...).

	Currently I can use pyGinac interactively to feed through a pipe
  drawing command to Asymptote and see immediately the result in a GV
  window, no need to link against any graphic library, popen() is
  sufficient from GiNaC and Asy does the rest.

    JV> And since it doesn't draw anything there is no need for drawing methods.

	OK, let's name them "advanced printing methods" ;-)

    JV> It is a nice idea to have GiNaC produce drawing commands for
    JV> systems like Asymptote, though. But this is simply PRINTing text
    JV> case the user wants something more special he can use the
    JV> technique explained in Ch.6.3.

	I support this approach.

    JV> Then I have some light concerns about a continuous maintenance
    JV> of that additional code (we had a similar issue with printing in
    JV> python format in the past IIRC),
    JV> future. Somebody will have to take care of that, continuously.

	This is why I also ad vacating only straightforward functionality in
  the core GiNaC with a possibility to have more drawing (sorry,
  printing ;-) methods possibly in a separate library in the anticipated
  Contrib storage.

  Best,
  Vladimir
Vladimir V. Kisil     email: kisilv at maths.leeds.ac.uk