[GiNaC-devel] AsyForGiNaC - an output extension producing Asymptote files

Jens Vollinga vollinga at physik.uni-wuppertal.de
Fri Aug 18 14:49:16 CEST 2006

Dear Vladimir,

Vladimir Kisil schrieb:
>     JV> From the examples you gave, like tan(x) or cycles, it seems to
>     JV> me that only a new print context is needed.
>
> 	I am in favour of printing context with seamless infrastructure for
>   further extensions by users/developers, (eg virtual methods?).

the seamless infrastructure is already there (cf. chapter 6.3 of the
manual). The only exception being GiNaC functions at the moment. This
could be remedied with the new function classes I am currently
experimenting with.

>     JV> whether there should be just another print context or in
>     JV> addition to that several new methods to class basic.
>
> 	Eg it may be a kind of route implemented in power(): the printing context
>   first checks are there any specific drawing methods defined for the
>   given class/defined scene combination and if not---fall back to the
>   default procedure.

See 6.3 again. It's already there, as long as it is only about printing
Asymptote commands.

I have still the impression that different things get mixed-up somehow:

GiNaC will _never_ ever DRAW things (unless we link it against OpenGL or
something similar ...). And since it doesn't draw anything there is no
need for drawing methods.

It is a nice idea to have GiNaC produce drawing commands for systems
like Asymptote, though. But this is simply PRINTing text in Asymptote
syntax, exactly like PRINTing in C or LaTeX syntax. The only thing
needed therefore is - at least to me, correct me if I am wrong - a new
printing context. New PRINT methods have to be added to GiNaC that have
decent defaults. In case the user wants something more special he can
use the technique explained in Ch.6.3.

If this is correct, then it's okay with me to add such a possibility to
GiNaC. Is it correct?

Then I have some light concerns about a continuous maintenance of that
additional code (we had a similar issue with printing in python format
in the past IIRC), but I guess it is something we just have to try. I
thought about myself adding some stuff somewhere and then having to
worry not just about plain text or LaTeX printing, which I think I can
handle, but also about some unfamiliar system (Asymptote) with lots of
complexity for which I don't like to invest much time in learning in the
near future. Somebody will have to take care of that, continuously.

Regards,
Jens