[GiNaC-list] Undefine the predefined numeric consant 'I'?

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 03:07:07 CET 2019

On 11/2/19, Vladimir V. Kisil <kisilv at maths.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:

>     WW> Is there an easy way to undefine the predefined numeric value
>     WW> 'I'?  If I define a symbol 'I', use it in an expression, and
>     WW> then output that expression to cout after modifying stream with
>     WW> csrc, 'I' is converted to 'std::complex<double>(0.0,-1.0)'.  I'd
>     WW> like the output to be just 'I'.
>
>     Would a string substitution be a solution to this?

Not really.  The problem is not just the output. Ginac sets 'I' to be
a predefined constant, so the code below prints

e: -3-I*x
de/dI: 0

instead of the desired

e: 3*I^2 - x*I
de/dI: 6*I - x

For now, I'll just disallow the use of 'I' as a user-defined variable.

Warren

-----
#include <iostream>
#include <ginac/ginac.h>
using namespace std;
using namespace GiNaC;

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    symbol I("I");
    symbol x("x");
    symtab table;

    table["I"] = I;
    table["x"] = x;
    parser reader(table);

    ex e = reader("3*I*I - x*I");
    cout << "e: " << e << endl;

    ex de = diff(e, I);
    cout << "de/dI: " << de << endl;

    return 0;
}
-----

I think for now, the simple rule is "Don't use I".  I can add code to
my program that disallows the use of 'I' on input.

Warren