[GiNaC-list] Bug report

Mark Rahner rahner at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 24 05:32:29 CEST 2018

Hi Vladimir,

Yang's expectation, that applying numer() and denom() to the same
expression would produce expressions with consistent signs, is reasonable.
Even if the potential inconsistency of results is well documented, it will
remain unexpected behavior by many users, potentially leading to errors.
The fact that consistent signs will sometimes be produced may make it
difficult to detect or debug those errors.  The potential inconsistency of
sign results also suggests that the concepts of numerator and denominator
aren't well defined, which is unsettling even if there is a good underlying
reason.  The explanation given, because a/b = (-a)/(-b), seems insufficient
to justify an interface that can lead to errors.  Would enforcement of
consistent signs result in a performance penalty?

Respectfully,
-Mark