[GiNaC-list] Piecewise function

Vladimir V. Kisil kisilv at maths.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Apr 22 18:50:10 CEST 2015

	Dear Vincent,

	You are right that GiNaC expression do not admit boolean
  terms directly. However with your example you can proceed as follow (I
  do understand that your actual target is much more complicated):

  1. Use the step function from GiNaC:

  f=2*x*step(x)+3*x*step(-x).

  [but for x=0 you need take care as step(0)=.5]

  Of course, if you have a hundred points where the function changes the
  expression, this becomes much more complicated

  2. Define your own function of three variables S(a,b,x) such that
  S(a,b,x)=1 for a<x<b and zero otherwise. GiNaC tutorial
  contains a demonstration how make a user-defined function. Then, any
  piece-wise function F will be a sum of terms f_i(x)*S(a_i,_b_i,x)
  where f_i is the expression for F on [a_i,b_i] (assuming disjoint
  partition.

  3. Finally, you may derive your own class from GiNaC::basic to hold
  your piece-wise function (again, GiNaC tutorial gives an example). As
  I see it shall have two lists: one with points of the partition,
  another with the respective expression. Then you add your custom
  methods to operate this class.

  The approaches are given in the order of increasing complexity, but
  the efficiently shall grow in the same direction.

  Best wishes,
  Vladimir
--
Vladimir V. Kisil                 http://www.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~kisilv/