[GiNaC-list] Compilation under macos + question on matrices

Laurent Bartholdi laurent.bartholdi at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 00:09:02 CET 2013

Dear all,
I'm new to ginac, and very eager to learn more about it. I installed the
latest (1.6.2) version on a recent (mountain lion 12.2.1) system, using the
automatic packaging system 'homebrew'.

1. There must be a bug somewhere along the line, because the most naive,
simple program from the manual (and all other examples I tried) cause a
malloc error:
% cat x.C
#include <iostream>
#include <ginac/ginac.h>

int main()
{
  GiNaC::symbol v("v");
  std::cout << v << std::endl;
  return 0;
}
% g++ x.C -lginac && ./a.out
a.out(31763) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fff7b419570: pointer being
freed was not allocated
Abort trap: 6

2. Setting matrix entries causes crash:
  GiNaC::matrix m(10,10); m[1][2] = 1;
causes "libc++abi.dylib: terminate called throwing an exception"

3. I can't find the tensor product of matrices (aka Kronecker product) in
the documentation. If M in an axb matrix and N is a cxd matrix, this would
be the (ac)x(bd) matrix with entries the products of entries of M and N.
While it's easy to implement myself, I'm surprised not to find it in the
library. Did I miss something?

I'm not sure I know well how this mailing list works, so I'd appreciate a
reply directly to my email address.

Thanks in advance,
Laurent
--
Prof. Dr. Laurent Bartholdi   \ laurent.bartholdi<at>gmail<dot>com
G.-A. Universität zu Göttingen \ Phone: +49 551 39 7826