[GiNaC-list] little optimization => lots of Memory usage

Cristobal Navarro axischire at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 18:33:41 CEST 2010

i made the test, here is what i can tell you from my experiments

1)  for a mapMatrix ( map<string, map<string, ex> > ) of 8524 x 8524 where
all expression where 0, the RAM usage was 6GB ~ 18% of 32GB, very close to
your stimation Alexei, you where right on that

2) however, if i repeat the experiment but let the expressions be what they
should be (which are pretty large), then RAM usage goes beyond 32GB, i
predict is something like 40GB of usage.

3) i would be complaining about the high ammount of RAM usage if it werent
because of the following peculiarity. If instead of a mtrix, i decide to
store the expresions in a system ecuation form with its corresponding
variables (in the way that all elements of a row are grouped into one big
polinomial expression), RAM usage is becomes low again!

2) and 3) have the same ammount of terms, just grouped in a different way,
it is strange, i am gonna do some more tests and any news i will post back,

Alexei, what is your opinion on my experience?