[GiNaC-list] GiNaC Licensing

Graham Hemingway graham.hemingway at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 23:09:23 CEST 2008

Thank you for the quick answer Richy.
I have already been in touch with the author of psketcher and would not have
an issue there.  The problem is focused on GiNaC and its dependencies.  I
agree that getting everyone to go along would be tough, if not impossible.
Well, perhaps an alternative path will present itself in time.

Cheers and keep up the great work.

Graham

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Richard B. Kreckel <kreckel at ginac.de>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Graham Hemingway wrote:
> > I am working on an open source 3D solid modeling kernel (
> > http://wildcat-cad.blogger.com and http://wildcat-cad.googlecode.com).
>  It
> > allows users to sketch 2D profiles and extrude them into 3D to form
> > mechanical parts.  The 2D sketches are constrained with dimensions
> (lengths,
> > angles, etc.) and these constraints naturally form a system of equations.
> >  An unrelated project (http://code.google.com/p/psketcher) has developed
> > very nice solver for these systems of equations.  The psketcher project
> uses
> > GiNaC as its mathematical engine.
> >
> > I would like to incorporate the psketcher solver into my kernel, but
> there
> > may be a conflict in licenses.  My project is released under the BSD
> > license, while I understand GiNaC to be under the GPL.  Is there any way
> > reconcile this problem other than changing to a different license?  I
> would
> > love to use GiNaC for a couple of other purposes within my project also.
> >  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> But that license conflict is not just about GiNaC. CLN and pSketcher are
> GPL, too. Changing all these licenses is next to impossible. Even trying
> to contact all copyright holders and pursuing them to dual-license their
> portions would be extremely challenging. If only one says "no", you are
> stuck.
>
> It'll be much easier releasing your projects under the GPL. You should
> consider that. It is a good license.
>
> happy hacking
>     -richy.
> --