[GiNaC-list] advice on a GiNaC based project.

alexander baker baker.alexander at gmail.com
Fri May 23 11:12:35 CEST 2008

I agree with Alexei, here is a similar example that I put together some time
ago using Python, perhaps a high level script would be a better tool for the
job!

Enjoy.

Alex

http://www.alexfb.com/cgi-bin/twiki/view/PtPhysics/Adjacency-Matrix-EigenVectore-Path-Graph

2008/5/23 Alexei Sheplyakov <varg at theor.jinr.ru>:

> Hello!
>
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:47:55AM -0700, Bhalchandra Thatte wrote:
>
> > I wish to write a few programs that do something like this:
> > take a graph or a tree
> > each vertex or edge of the graph has a variable associated with it.
> > walk on the graph or find certain subgraphs, and compute certain
> > multivariable polynomials in terms of the variables associated
> > with vertices or edges.
>
> I think boost.graph (for graph manipulations) and GiNaC (for symbolic
> computation) is a reasonable choice.
>
> > later possibly do numerical optimization of the polynomials using
> > an optimization library.
>
> Be forewarned: GiNaC does not provide any kind of numerical optimization.
>
> > I thought GiNaC would be ideal for this type of applications because
> > C++ will give me complete control over the data structures and
> > the efficiency.
>
> I suggest to think twice if you really need a low level programming
> language (such as C++) at all.
>
> Best regards,
>        Alexei
>
> --
> All science is either physics or stamp collecting.

Mobile: 07788 872118
Blog: www.alexfb.com

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.