[GiNaC-list] Re: sympy is NOT a derived work

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Tue Jan 1 20:57:43 CET 2008

On Tue, Jan 01, 2008 at 07:29:23PM +0100, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> But anyway, I just wanted a confirmation, that  you are ok with this.

_I_ am OK with this. Let's see what other developers and contributors think.

> > That said, I don't think BSD one is
> > a good choice (it will certainly distract some potential contributors),
> > but that's a matter of my personal preferences.
>
> It will distract some but bring some other ones. For example
> if you look into the sympy mailinglist, you will see that some people find
> ginac to restrictive, that it's GPL.

GPL forbids one to take away the freedom. Some people happen to dislike that,
but I like this "restriction" *very* much.

> On the other hand, I also don't like, that Mathematica, a non-free program,
> is using GMP, while giving nothing back.

So release your code under a (more) restrictive license. :)

> > >we decided to use BSD, because it's more free
> >                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Could you please refrain from claims like this? Pretty *please*.
>
> Sorry about that, I should have written:
>
> we decided to use BSD, because we arrived at a consenus,
> that BSD is more free (but other people may think otherwise).
>
> Is that ok? :)

Almost, although "we decied to use BSD" would be even better, as it's more
informative and does not provoke yet another "BSD versus GPL" flamewar :)

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.