[GiNaC-list] GiNaC vs non-GNU readline

David Fang fang at csl.cornell.edu
Tue Jan 30 20:47:33 CET 2007

> ok so apparently readline5 is installed;
> $ fink remove readline5
> Information about 5919 packages read in 0 seconds.
> Reading buildlock packages...

> OK but!! -shlibs has dependencies->
>
> $ fink remove readline5-shlibs
> Information about 5919 packages read in 0 seconds.
> Reading buildlock packages...
> /sw/bin/dpkg-lockwait --remove readline5-shlibs
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of
> readline5-shlibs:
>  libxml2-bin depends on readline5-shlibs (>=
> 5.0-1004).
> /sw/bin/dpkg: error processing readline5-shlibs
> (--remove):
>  dependency problems - not removing

Hi,
	Correct, you don't have to remove -shlibs, because those are
*install* depended-upon by other packages as dynamic shared libraries.
the readline5 package you removed was the *static* library, which doesn't
have to stay around because other libraries basically copy what they need
from it when they link against it.

--------->8 snip 8<--------
> ginsh_parser.yy:50:6: error: missing binary operator
> before token "wrapper"

One thing, before you just run 'make' again, you should re-configure
because the absence/presence of readline5 will affect the outcome of
"config.h", which is included (directly or indirectly) by everything.  (If
you configured with cache '-C', remove config.cache first too.)
"./config.status --recheck && config.status" will re-run configure using
the same parameters you passed the first time.

> Ok now i reinstall readline5 to make sure everything
> is ok, and everything compiles perfect again.

> > FYI: I was able to reproduce your config.log and
> > your errors, they have been diagnosed.
>
> eh?? no sorry, to be clear; my ginac compiled and
> compiles perfectly on OS X 10.4.8, i was just trying
> to help find the reason some guy on the list wasn't
> able to compile it on the same os.

Ok.  To summarize:
To compile/link against packages in fink, be it readline or other library,
one should just pass CPPFLAGS="-I/sw/include" LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib"
to configure before making.  (Replace 'sw' with whatever your fink-root
is.)

David Fang
Computer Systems Laboratory
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Cornell University
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
	-- (2400 baud? Netscape 3.0?? lynx??? No problem!)