[GiNaC-list] Some static functions

Martin Sandve Alnæs martinal at simula.no
Thu Apr 12 17:37:31 CEST 2007

2007/4/12, Chris.Dams at mi.infn.it <Chris.Dams at mi.infn.it>:
> Dear Martin,
>
> > collect_symbols and get_symbol_stats are mentioned in the manual,
>
> Are they? Doing "grep collect_symbols ginac.texi" or "grep
> get_symbol_stats ginac.texi" does not give any result.

In the reference manual for 1.3.5 ("Generated on Thu Aug 17 15:03:26
2006 for GiNaC by Doxygen") under "GiNaC Namespace Documentation":

• static void get_symbol_stats (const ex &a, const ex &b, sym_desc_vec &v)
      Collect statistical information about symbols in polynomials.

> > but are defined as static functions in normal.cpp with no mention in
> > normal.h. Does this mean they're meant to be internal and not part of
> > the "official" API? I'd like to use them...
>
> We cannot add them in the 1.3 branch since that should be binary
> compatible. I suggest you copy the code from normal.cpp. I guess these
> functions were not thought to be very useful for users.

Ok, thanks.

I'm about to write some code to convert a multivariate polynomial to a
recursive form of Horners rule, with "respect to" one symbol at each
level of recursion. I figure f.ex. get_symbol_stats is useful for
this.

martin