[GiNaC-list] Referencing array of symbols?

John Pye john.pye at student.unsw.edu.au
Wed Sep 7 16:26:58 CEST 2005

Hi Alexei,

Thanks very much for your reply. It looks like I might have been going
in the wrong direction with those ideas, perhaps I need to rethink how I
implement my code for the case of arrays equations for finite elements.

The reasons I needed to use GiNaC were probably not apparent from my
example. I am using it to perform symbolic differentiation. Also I would
like possibly at some point be able to analyse the 'topology' of my
equations, for use in some of the cleverer 'tearing' algorithms for
systems of nonlinear equations. I could use GiNaC to determine whether
the structure of an equation was logarithmic, or reciprocal, or product
or trigonometric, etc, fairly easily. Finally, using GiNaC allows me to
express systems of nonlinear equations directly in C++ without needing
to write a separate language lexer as is done in much other nonlinear
solver software, and I can easily embed custom functions which can I can
also provide with derivatives etc.

Anyway, thanks again for your advice,
JP