[GiNaC-list] small portability fix

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Tue Nov 1 21:04:01 CET 2005

Dear Alexei,

Sheplyakov Alexei wrote:

>The attached patch removes non-portable code from ginsh and checks, so
>it possible to compile ginsh and run checks on MinGW.

Thanks for submitting a patch. However, your patch trades the
measurement of used system time for the measurement of elapsed
(physical) time.  I don't think that's what we want.  If you really want
to make it work on systems that don't have getrusage, then I suggest to
encapsulate the time measurement into a little abstraction of its own
and use #ifdefs within that.  Those #ifdefs could then check for
something established by configure. (Sure there must be Autoconf macros
out there checking for getrusage.)

Also, your patch repeats a little mistake in the original code, that
I'was going to fix anyway in a few minutes.  :-)

Regards