[GiNaC-list] quo behaviour

Christian Bauer Christian.Bauer at uni-mainz.de
Tue Aug 17 14:22:03 CEST 2004

Hi!

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 11:32:25AM +0200, Ralf Stephan wrote:
> The tutorial says that parameters to quo() should be univariate
> polynomials. Is this really necessary, esp. if you also get the
> main variable as parameter?

I believe it works with multivariate polynomials but it currently won't
return anything that is not a polynomial in all variables. However, the
wording in the tutorial is a bit misleading. Seeing that quo() works on
polynomials whose coefficient domain is a field it should also be able
to return meaningful results if those coefficients (with respect to the
specified main variable) are rational functions.

I guess one needs to re-express quo()/rem() in terms of pquo()/prem() to
make that work?

Bye,
Christian

--