Interval Arithmetic in GiNaC

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Mon Oct 20 23:52:19 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, C T L O'Dwyer wrote:
> I was wondering if GiNaC has support for interval arithmetic, and if not,
> then how to add it (would it just be a new numeric type with it's own
> rules?) or are there any other packages out there that can be combined
> with GiNaC?

This would probably not so too easy.  There are a number of places where
GiNaC does not make the assumption that a given number be real.  I don't
know how interval arithmetic looks with complex numbers.  Frankly
speaking, I also don't know how it looks with non-ring operations like the
division in the real world where intervals tend to contain 0...

>             I need symbolic manipulation for my project, but I also need
> to be able to check very quickly if a given value exists in an interval.

Maybe MPFI <http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~nrevol/nr_software.html> turns out to
be interesting for you.

Regards
<Richard.Kreckel at GiNaC.DE>