matrix^0, matrix.exp() and latex output of matrices

Alexander Heide heide at ra.physik.uni-halle.de
Thu Mar 7 17:29:11 CET 2002

Here are some remarks and questions about matrices in GiNaC.

Have a look at this code:

#include <iostream>
#include <ginac/ginac.h>
using namespace std;
using namespace GiNaC;

int main()
{
        matrix A(2, 2, lst(0, 1, 1, 0));
        A.print(print_latex(std::cout)); cout << endl;
        cout << evalm(exp(A)) << endl;
        cout << pow(A, 0).evalm() << endl;
        cout << A.pow(0) << endl;
        return 0;
}

The programm prints out:

[[0,1],[1,0]]
exp([[0,1],[1,0]])
1

and then runs forever (or until someone presses CTRL-C or turns off the
computer or whatever).

To have a nice matrix in LaTeX I would expect something like

\left(\begin{array}{ccc}0&1\\1&0\end{array}\right)

in the first line of the output. In the second line the expression keeps
unevaluated because of a lacking method

matrix matrix::exp(void) const;

The third line should be

[[1,0],[0,1]]

as well as the the fourth line.

And finally I have a (probably stupid) question: To construct an identity
2 x 2 matrix, I want to use

ex I = diag_matrix((lst(1, 1));

(More convenient would be a function like 'ex idenity_matrix(unsigned n)')
Now I want to add E to another matrix A, for instance

A = matrix(2, 2, lst(1, 0, 0, 1));

This works: evalm(A + E)
This works not: A.add(E), because E ist not a matrix object.

My question is: How con I convert E to a matrix object?
I've consulted the tutorial, but I couldn't find an answer to this
question.