Roots of unity

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Sun Jan 20 15:38:14 CET 2002

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, I wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Hans Peter Würmli wrote:
[...]
> > which is correct, if one simplifies 1/2+(-27/2+3/2*sqrt(93))^(-1)-1/18*sqrt(93) to 1
>
> This is already way cool, isn't it?  But, to "simplify" is not
> well-defined.  Such computations should not be done automatically at the
> level of the anonymous avaluator (i.e. classwhatever::eval()).

[...]

Oops, I just realized that this particular case above is even more trivial
and what I wrote doesn't apply to it yet.  Simply calling normal() will
get the job done, since there is only one sqrt() in there.

Regards
<Richard.Kreckel at Uni-Mainz.DE>
<http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~kreckel/>