nonlinear equation systems

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Wed Mar 28 19:28:35 CEST 2001

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Tilman Utz wrote:
> possibliy I just missed that one: Is there a method to solve nonlinear
> systems in Ginac?

No.  What do you want to solve?  Things like x^2+p*x+q == 0 for x?  This
touches topic "Field extensions" on <http://www.ginac.de/ToDo.html>.  You
have to represent objects like the infamous RootOf(x^5-x+1) first, then
you can start solving systems of equations.  Class power is simply not
powerful enough, in can only represent surds and (though it
doesn't make much sense out of it) nested surds.  (IIRC from Geddes' book,
the nonlinear systems case is more or less plain sailing once you know how
to handle the polynomial case, but I may be wrong.)

Regards
Richard Kreckel
<Richard.Kreckel at Uni-Mainz.DE>
<http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~kreckel/>