Ben Sapp's Problem

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Fri Oct 20 15:58:35 CEST 2000

Hi,

Sorry, Christian, for putting this into the list so late but I thought Ben
and others might wish to know what is going on.  And sorry to all the
others for the German in it...

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Christian Bauer wrote:
> Ich habe jetzt eine Version gebastelt (noch nicht im CVS), die
> nicht-integer-Exponenten bei (l)degree() und coeff() als 0 ansieht, d.h:

What I was thinking of, was that ldegree returns the corresponding floor
and degree the corresponding ceiling.  Is this idea somehow screwed or
does it just not matter at all?

>  > e=5*x^2.0+42*x^3;
>  5*x^(2.0)+42*x^3
>  > degree(e,x);
>  3
>  > ldegree(e,x);
>  0
>  > coeff(e,x,0);
>  5*x^(2.0)
>  > coeff(e,x,2);
>  0
>  > coeff(e,x,3);
>  42
>  > collect(e,x);
>  5*x^(2.0)+42*x^3

[...]

> Etwas inkonsistent finde ich, das in GiNaC
>
>  > is(2.0==2);
>  1
>
> wo doch 2.0 eigentlich ein inexakter Wert ist.
>
> Wohingegen
>
>  > x^2.0*x^3;
>  x^(5.0)
>
> in Ordnung ist.

Hmm, there is no clever way in CLN to do just that, one would have to
resort to some (trivial) RTTI-fiddling here.  Is this just inconsistent or
does this lead to potential problems somewhere?

Richard Kreckel
<Richard.Kreckel at Uni-Mainz.DE>
<http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~kreckel/>

-