[GiNaC-devel] Release

Jens Vollinga jensv at nikhef.nl
Sun May 22 15:49:28 CEST 2011

Am 22.05.2011 15:28, schrieb Alexei Sheplyakov:
>> the ABI has changed. Due to 0c2f0f4c6d4118e817c5b9 expairseq has lost a  method.
>
> ++lt_current;
>   lt_age = lt_revision = 0;

so, THIS is what you and richy meant ... okay, right, fine ... m(
Obviously there are still a few things to be done before a release, like
always.

> And that's it. ABI version has very little to do with the release
> number. The former describes
> the library changes from the point of view of a linker, and the latter
> describes the library changes
> from the users' point of view. From the users' point of view the
> commit mentioned above is
> just a bugfix. Removing (overloaded) expairseq::is_polynomial() is a
> minor technical detail,
> and it does not justify bumping the minor version. (Still it's
> important to bump the SONAME
> so the linker can find out that this version is not binary compatible
> with the previous one).

Correct.

But why do you want to call it 1.5.9, still? I mean, we have done a lot
of other things as well and the new git branching policy is coming into
effect. What else do we need to justify a minor number increase?

Regards,
Jens