[GiNaC-devel] expairseq::conjugate

Jens Vollinga jensv at nikhef.nl
Sun May 15 22:08:29 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 15.05.2011 22:01, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:
>> Next release will be 1.6.0 and by convention people will (or have to)
>> expect that if the minor number changes there might be an ABI breakage.
>>
>> And I'll make it a habit to announce ABI breaks in the release
>> announcement, so no surprises.
>
> What is the reason for a new ABI version? I just checked and found that
> current HEAD is still compatible with GiNaC 1.5.0. Putting on my
> distributor's hat, I hate the trouble caused by new SONAME versions.

you misunderstood me. I won't raise the soname, but I call the release
1.6.0. So it is a new minor number and that shall mean for
users/distros: keep an eye on the release announcement, because the new
release just _might_ have a new soname. If there is no information in
the release announcement, then the ABI didn't change. I just don't want
to call the release 1.5.9, mainly because of the new branching policy in
the git repo. And also in the future it might be a good idea to signal
important changes in the minor number (if not the major number).

Regards,
Jens

BTW, I am just looking at PG CLARK's bug. Don't know how fast I can
move, yet.