[GiNaC-devel] release

Alexei Sheplyakov alexei.sheplyakov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 22:21:27 CET 2010

Hi again,

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 10:06:51PM +0100, Jens Vollinga wrote:

> >Also I'd like to merge the master branch with 1.5. It looks like having
> >two branches is of no advantage, instead it imposes maintenance overhead
> >(also, some patches get lost).
>
> I don't understand. "no advantage" is not the point, the two
> branches are just not compatible,

Well, most of commits in 1.5 and master are actually the same (the patches
get applied to master and cherry-picked to 1.5 or vice a versa).

git diff origin/ginac_1-5..origin/master

shows that only ChangeLog and the version info in configure.ac differ.
So we have two branches with the same history (modulo patch ordering).
In my opinion this makes very little sense, so I propose to merge those
branches. Alternatively we can abandon the 1.5 branch, and continue
development on master, that is, *without* creating the separate branch
for 1.6 (and any future versions).

> so having two branches is just a necessity.

I don't agree (see the explanation above).

Best regards,
	Alexei