[GiNaC-devel] Spurious merges, inifcns_nstdsums, RTTI, and all that (Was: Plese pull from ...)

Jens Vollinga jensv at nikhef.nl
Mon Sep 22 14:08:14 CEST 2008

Hi Alexei,

Alexei Sheplyakov schrieb:
> It would be nice to avoid merge commits in the official repository.

ups. Next time ...

>> One of the reasons was exactly to get the code in inifcns_nstdsums.cpp
>> into a clean, oo, and of course reentrant form.
>
> I don't quite understand how converting G{2,3}, Li and friends into
> full-blown GiNaC classes can help. Could you elaborate, please?

You removed global variables and made them local or passed them as
function parameters. But if every function were a class, these variables
could just as well become class members. It would be thread-safe, too
(and no need for additional function parameters).

> AFAIR the new RTTI is a prerequisite for converting functions into classes.
> Is this correct?

If by "new RTTI" you mean the current mechanism using the static void
pointer, then yes. Otherwise, in the previous implementation, people
would have to choose unique t_info numbers for their own function
definitions (not pratical ...).

Regards,
Jens