[GiNaC-devel] setting up public git repository

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Wed Mar 5 06:29:43 CET 2008

Dear Richard,

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 09:54:58PM +0100, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:

> Seriously, after Cebix has upgraded the machine to SuSE 10.2 I've only
> installed the git-core and git-email packages.

I'm afraid git-* packages shipped with SuSE 10.2 are way too old (according
to http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/oss/suse/i586/
the version is 1.4.3, but current one is 1.5.4.3)

> An empty dir /srv/git/ came with that.
>
> So what next? Try to convert CVS and set it up there?

Setting up a public repository is described in the git manual [1].
For conversion from CVS you need git-cvsimport utility (shipped with git).

However, converting GiNaC CVS is a bit involved, because some very old files
(install.sh,v missing,v, etc.) are broken. I propose to clone my repository
(the content is almost identical to that of CVS) instead, i.e.

[cd to some suitable directory]
git clone --bare git://ffmssmsc.jinr.ru:443/varg/ginac.git ginac.git
[start git-daemon and configure web server to enable gitweb]

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#setting-up-a-public-repository

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.