[GiNaC-devel] about "official" repositories

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Tue Mar 4 16:23:00 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 03:20:06PM +0100, Jens Vollinga wrote:

> So, to wrap it up:
> - the official git repository should be on www.ginac.de
> - you have an publicly available repository as well
> - I only have a private repository
> - others like Richy most likely(?) also have private repositories
> - as soon as somebody has changes in his repository that seem okay to be
>   made official, that person

... posts the patch(es) to ginac-devel, and if there are no objections
(within some sane time frame, e.g. a week), pushes them to the official
repository, or asks someone to pull them.

> I don't like the idea of having several publicly
> available repositories of which any could happen to be the official one.
> If a user wants to look at the official version, he should not need to
> visit several addresses to figure how where what version is and what the
> most recent might be.

Sure, having a canonical download URL does make sense.

> well, I like the following comment there more ;-) :
>
> "For projects with few developers, or for synchronizing a few private
> repositories, this may be all you need.

I would argue that 3 does not qualify as "few" :)

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.