[GiNaC-devel] factorization and stuff

Jens Vollinga jensv at nikhef.nl
Thu Aug 21 00:48:28 CEST 2008

Hi,

Richard B. Kreckel schrieb:
> I hope I'm not being too pesky, but that square-free factorization keeps
>   attracting my mind. And now I am getting:

what is behind this curiosity? New feature in cln maybe? :-)

>  > factor(expand((1-x+x^2-x^3)*x^2));
> Internal error: statement in file ./float/division/cl_F_ceil1.cc, line
> 21 has been reached!!
> Please send the authors of the program a description how you produced
> this error!

It is no problem of the sqrfree function. Actually, you can help me with
  this bug. The problematic line is

cl_I normmc =
ceiling1(the<cl_F>(cln::sqrt(ex_to<numeric>(maxcoeff).to_cl_N())));

maxcoeff is 4 in this case.

The line

cl_I normmc =
ceiling1(the<cl_I>(cln::sqrt(ex_to<numeric>(maxcoeff).to_cl_N())));

does work in this case (cl_F -> cl_I in the cast).

Why?!? It is just too late to read the manual ...

> Sorry for being such a killjoy.

Well, I have to seriously warn you: any more bugs and the multivariate
factorization will be delayed even more! ;-)

Jens