[GiNaC-devel] factorization and stuff

Jens Vollinga jensv at nikhef.nl
Wed Aug 20 22:51:28 CEST 2008

Hi,

Richard B. Kreckel schrieb:
> Now, again in ginsh notation:
>  > factor(expand((x+4+x^2-x^3+43*x^4)*(x+1-x^2-3*x^3+4*x^4)));
> Segmentation fault

thanks again!

>> Since you already looked at the code I should maybe comment on it with
>> respect to cln: there is quite some stuff in factor.cpp that actually
>> could be part of cln. It is mainly the type/class for modular univariate
>> polynomials. If you compare the features of my class with the equivalent
>> type in cln you can see why I needed this additional type.
>
> Well, I don't see.  :-(
> What is your point?

Well, maybe I should have put my statement differently. Of course, there
is no ultimate reason why the cln class could not have been used from
the beginning on in the factor code. Obviously, everthing can be done
with the cln class and several additional functions that do the job of
the missing methods! But I started out missing several things and then,
not sure what the future algorithms might need in addition, wrote a
convenient class. If all is done, maybe some of the methods could go
into the cln class, probably not things like to_ex() or operator<(), but
other things like unit_normal() or divide().

Regards,
Jens