[GiNaC-devel] migrating to git?

Alexei Sheplyakov varg at theor.jinr.ru
Wed Nov 21 16:59:23 CET 2007

Dear GiNaC developers,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:55:16PM +0100, Richard B. Kreckel wrote:

> Anyway, the discussion how to proceed regarding the SCM should be
> continued on ginac-devel.

OK.

> Seriously, I do not think anyone is too fixed about CVS. The reason it
> was chosen was because at that time there was no other free SCM.

So, I propose to migrate GiNaC repository to git. What do you think,
folks?

> Migrating to SVN ASAP would be the natural thing to do but I'm sure this
> would not excite you.

SVN is not *that* bad, but still it is inconvenient (centralized,
branching/merging is unnecessary difficult, no offline mode, etc).

> Even with git, I think we should have an official reference repository
> from which we make releases simply because this way users always know
> where to get prereleases from.

Sure.

> I guess there's no way to convert the CVS history to git, is there?

There is git-cvsimport utility. I use it to sync my git repository [1]
with CVS. It happens to work surprisingly well, although there was a minor
problem during the initial import [2]. So, we could either clone my
repository (excluding -vargs branches), or do the conversion once again.

[1]
http://theor.jinr.ru/~varg/git/ginac
Note: the repository is not browseable, use git to clone it.

[2]
Some *very* old files (auto* tools helpers) in the CVS are corrupted.
This problem never get noticed (I guess nobody ever tried to checkout
such an old version). I've edited the history a little bit to pretend those
file never existed in the (CVS) repository. I don't think this is a problem,
since such files should not be included into the repository in first place.
Anyway, they were deleted 6 years ago, so who cares?

Best regards,
	Alexei

--
All science is either physics or stamp collecting.