[GiNaC-devel] AsyForGiNaC - an output extension producing Asymptote files

Vladimir Kisil kisilv at maths.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Aug 16 18:23:39 CEST 2006

		Dear Jens,

    JV> GiNaC is mainly about algebra with some (large) admixture of
    JV> numerics.

	Some people like algebraic expressions to be visualised,
  e.g. gTubalt enriches GiNaC by drawing facilities from Root and
  everyone seems to like it.

    JV> And I don't like the idea of having classes that
    JV> sport say 10 methods for the usual GiNaC stuff and then 10
    JV> additional methods just for drawing

	The idea is to add one more printing context "asy" to the "text",
  "latex", "python", etc. family.

    JV> most cases). It is (almost) always like "draw(Object, Numerical
    JV> Range, XYZ Spec)".

	Note that here "Numerical Range" and  "XYZ Spec" are properties of
  the scene, not of "Object". Thus there is no need to store all drawing
  option in the Object. Rather you may prepare an Asymptote scene with
  required properties and then ask one or several GiNaC objects
  "print_asy" themselves on this scene.

  A beautiful drawing is always uneasy and will require a lot of
  customisation. However it will nice if GiNaC will have at least basic
  possibility to draw a graph of function. It became even more true with
  development of several interactive wrappers.

  Best wishes,
  Vladimir
Vladimir V. Kisil     email: kisilv at maths.leeds.ac.uk
--                      www: http://maths.leeds.ac.uk/~kisilv/