Problem with CLN on Alpha

maxa at frodo.jia.czn.cz maxa at frodo.jia.czn.cz
Sat Oct 15 01:13:11 CEST 2005

> On Thu, 8 Feb 101 maxa at frodo.jia.czn.cz wrote:
> >  I am trying to compile CLN library on an Alpha machine. Now I upgraded  the
> > compiler and binutils but I am still getting a lot of undefined symbols (see
> > below). Can anybody help? Was anybody able to compile cln on an Alpha machi-
> > ne?
>
> Yes, me.  No problem at all.  Actually I was extremely careful testing
> version 1.1 on any platform I could get my hands on before I released it.

 Thanks for the reply. Very interesting indeed. Can we compare  a  little  bit
more?

> About *how* many undefined symbols did you get?
> [ ] about 10
> [X] about 100
> [ ] about 1000
Just exactly:
grep -e "undefined" --count make.logfile
178

> For me, the link line in your report works just fine.  You obviously have
> some linker confusion.  Don't you have a local Linux guru who might help
> you out with this stuff?

Unfortunately there is no Linux guru aroung, except me. Looking at the problem
in more details, all undefined symbols comes from names like

        _GLOBAL_$I$cl_module__cl_*__firstglobalfun
or
        _GLOBAL_$D$cl_module__cl_*__firstglobalfun

. Looking at object files (which I am linking), none of them has those symbols
defined, so I think my linker is right. Are those  symbols  defined?  If  yes,
where they should be defined?

 Could the problem be related to the configure? There is one line which  makes
me wonder if it's right:

checking whether the global constructors function need to be exported... yes

> You could also try a static library only.

 I have already tried, but that's the same problem.

> Regards
>     -richy.
> --
> Richard Kreckel