[GiNaC-devel] Another clifford patch

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ginac.de
Sat Jul 23 00:29:43 CEST 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Jens Vollinga wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 11:10:26AM +0100, Vladimir Kisil wrote:
> > 		Here is another patch for Clifford part of GiNaC which contains
> >   mainly four components:
>
> Thanks! It has been applied to CVS.
>
> >   Will it be worth to develop the included Lie algebra subclass into the
> >   proper part of GiNaC?
>
> I don't know. But as soon as I have some more time (maybe in October?),
> I'd like to add to the GiNaC package a sub-directory containing lots of
> examples. There could be included the examples from the tutorial,
> algebra class. With some nice documentation and an index to all the
> examples, I think this would be a good thing for GiNaC. Maybe this could
> be a reason not to make this class a permanent part of GinaC itself.

This sounds like a helluvagood idea.  The only thing I'm worried about is
about the stability of the examples' quality.  One useful step to assess
the quality is to automatically exercise the examples, maybe each in it's
own testsuite.

Recently, it was discovered that one of the examples of CLN segfaulted
when executed [0].  This has been broken since GCC 3 came out in June
2001.  The problem has gone unnoticed for 4 years.  :-(  I've only
recently fixed it in CVS.  Maybe there should've been a way to force
execution of the examples.  Maybe the testsuite should've been better.

  -richy.

[0] <http://thep.physik.uni-mainz.de/pipermail/cln-list/2005-March/000066.html>