[GiNaC-devel] Upcoming GiNaC release

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Wed Oct 6 23:02:14 CEST 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Jens Vollinga wrote:
> we are planning to release GiNaC 1.3 during the next days. To this end,
> we'd like to know if anybody still wants to make contributions for this
> upcoming release (contributions that don't change the ABI, like
> bug-fixes for example, can be committed anytime, of course)? The
> contributions from Chris Dams (symbolic integration) and Vladimir Kisil
> (clifford algebra) will be included in this release.

Is the versioning of the .gar file format under consideration?  The reason
I am asking is that numeric::archive is using the decimal system.  I have
had a complaint where it took *hours* to restore large numbers from disk
due to a very unoptimized cln::I_from_digits function inside CLN.  The
next version of CLN (due in a week or two) will sport a function that
works in linear complexity which will cut down on the runtime base if the
base is some power of two, i.e. 2, 4, 8, 16 or 32.  (The output function
has always been doing this.)

I would recommend using cln::print_integer and cln::read_integer and set
the base to 16, since hex format is common and base 32 would only save 20%
in space requirements, which isn't worth it.

I am unfamiliar with the versioning of .gar files, hence my hesitance.

Happy hacking