ACM Sigsam: Computer Algebra System Bibliography

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at thep.physik.uni-mainz.de
Mon Nov 24 23:35:24 CET 2003

Hi Alexander!

CC'd to <ginac-devel at ginac.de>.

> As you may know, SIGSAM, the ACM special interest group for symbolic
> computation, has started to build a collection of bibliographic references
> for computer algebra systems (CAS).
>
> The aim of such a collection is to persuade publishers, as well as authors,
> to cite use of a CAS in the same formal way as use of a paper, thus giving
> credit to the CAS developer(s).
> (See http://www.acm.org/sigsam/citation/policy.html for more details.)
>
> Alas the current version of this bibliography is missing many important
> CAS or is outdated.
>
> The aim of this mail is to solicit your input for such a citation for GiNaC.
> This citation could be a reference to a journal article describing the
> CAS, the CAS manual, or just the CAS itself.

In our case, I would suggest to simply cite the (non-)CAS itself.  There
is a journal article, easily to be found on our web-page.  However, I
hardly think that a printed description of a snapshot in time can capture
any ongoing work in a fair way.

I'm afraid most people would not hesitate and give a journal reference.
But in the case of evolving software that reference will be outdated ere
the paper appears in print.  And it would only be in support of the
publishing industry.  I'm afraid that citing web pages isn't much good
either, since "the average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days.
This is no way to run a culture", as the board chairman of the Internet
Archive says.  (This is certainly exaggerated in our case; but it is
appropiate and appeard on slashdot only an hour ago.)

Alas, if you think about it, the whole idea about citations is in support
of the publishing industry as long as printed papers prevail and free
alternatives are still in their infancy (no, non-peer-reviewed arXiv does
not count).

In this spirit and in the presence of indexes into the internet and
packaged versions of the software shipped with some OSes, I would much
rather prefer to simply have the package stand for itself.

Just imagine, go ask B!ll Gat3z for a reference of M$-Word...  ;-)

If some other developer thinks that this is too much Nirvana-talk, please
go ahead and provide Alexander Hulpke with more conservative input.  We
should respect this and not object.  After all, journal references are
still quite relevant for a scientific career.

<http://www.ginac.de/>

> 3. Public contact:

I suggest the mailing lists:
<ginac-devel at ginac.de> and <ginac-list at ginac.de>

> 4. Contact (only for updating this list. Will default to 3)

[ My Address deleted ]
I suggest to let it default to 3.

> 5. Citation:

As explained, I'ld suggest to leave it at:
"GiNaC is Not a CAS".

> 6. Descriptive text (at most 5 lines) that will be added to the citation list

I base this suggestion from the RPM package description:
: GiNaC (which stands for "GiNaC is Not a CAS (Computer Algebra System)")
: is an open framework for symbolic computation within the C++ programming
: language.  Published under the GPL.

Best wishes und nix für ungut!
<Richard.Kreckel at GiNaC.DE>