GiNaC CVS restructured

Christian Bauer Christian.Bauer at Uni-Mainz.DE
Wed Jul 2 19:25:35 CEST 2003

Hi!

Due to some misunderstanding about the use of CVS branches on our part,
the GiNaC CVS was organized in an inconvenient way:

   +-> GiNaC 1.1
   | +-> GiNaC 1.2
   |  [+-> GiNaC 1.3 etc.]
  HEAD (GiNaC 1.0)

This made the main trunk essentially obsolete and, if continuing in this
fashion, would cause longer and longer CVS revision numbers for subsequent
versions of GiNaC.

The Right Way to set up the branches would have been to create a new
branch for every _stable_ version, instead of every development version,
like this:

   +-> GiNaC 1.0
   +-> GiNaC 1.1
  HEAD (GiNaC 1.2)

We will use this system for any further GiNaC development. Unfortunately, it
is not possible to rearrange an existing CVS tree, but I have reorganized it
as best as possible by branching off GiNaC 1.0 from the current HEAD,
merging the changes from 1.0.14 to 1.2 into the main trunk, and deleting the
old branch tag for 1.2. So it currently looks like this:

   +-> GiNaC 1.1
   | +-> dead-end (former 1.2)
   +-> GiNaC 1.0
  HEAD (GiNaC 1.2)

Ugly, but it achieves the desired effect, with minor annoyances:
 - the last update to the main trunk contains all changes from 1.0.14 thru
   1.1.x and 1.2, so the ability to backtrack the changes one-by-one is gone
   for this update.
 - there's a dangling anonymous branch for what formerly was 1.2; I don't
   think that can be remedied, though.

As usual, a specific branch of GiNaC may be checked out from the CVS using
"cvs checkout -r branch_tag GiNaC", but the meaning of the tags has now
changed a little:
                         old        new
  <no tag specified>  GiNaC 1.0  GiNaC 1.2
  -r ginac_1-0           N/A     GiNaC 1.0
  -r ginac_1-1        GiNaC 1.1  GiNaC 1.1
  -r ginac_1-2        GiNaC 1.2     N/A

Fortunately, users of the current stable version 1.1 won't notice any
difference and don't need to take any action.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
Christian

--
  / Physics is an algorithm