GiNaC-0.7.0

Eugene Gorshkov atany at ic.kharkov.ua
Sat Jan 6 14:45:36 CET 2001

Hi GiNaC's authors!

I'm using GiNaC in project for simplifying and normalizing math
expressions (and physics, hereafter).

My program checks student's solution of math or physics problem
without teacher help (teacher need to enter some variants of solution
only once). This program will be used for Distant Learning.

So, I need to compare two different expressions on identity.

I've found out some bugs (or features?) in new version of GiNaC 0.7.0
There they are:

When I'm entering command like this:
> normal(a^b*a^c, 2);
in ginsh or simple c++ code, GiNaC stops to work or exits by
Segmentation fault (there is no output).

If normalization level == 1, the result is: a^b*a^c.
But I need a^(b+c)!

Could you explain to me what must I do to correct this?

And I have some questions about GiNaC.

1. If I need to normalize expression (a+b)^2 and result must be
a^2+b^2+2*a*b.
Have I need to call only normal() method or expand() also?

2. Do you planning to include some simple operations with
vectors in GiNaC?

Also, I'd like to help you in extending GiNaC. Therefore I'll examine
GiNaC's sources and try to write some additional code...

---------------------------------------
Machine configuration:

Red Hat Linux release 7.0 (Guinness) Kernel 2.2.16-22 on an i586

Linux host.domain 2.2.16-22 #1 Tue Aug 22 16:16:55 EDT 2000 i586 unknown

gcc version: 2.96

glibc-2.1.92-14
libc-5.3.12-31

GiNaC-0.7.0
cln-1.1

--
With best regards, Eugene Gorshkov aka Atany

.. e-mail: atany at ic.kharkov.ua
--- XEmacs 21.1 "Channel Islands" (linux)