Algebra of differential operators

Christian Bauer cbauer at student.physik.uni-mainz.de
Thu Apr 19 19:54:08 CEST 2001

Hi!

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 05:42:05PM +0100, Will Woods wrote:
> I am working on a problem that requires manipulation and differentiation
> of large numbers of Lie derivative operators, followed by collecting
> coefficients of like orders of the operators. Since Ginac does not
> currently seem to be able to handle this, I have added a (fairly horrible)
> hack to the Symbol class to to make a Symbol behave as a differential
> operator under certain circumstances.

I'm not completely sure what the exact functionality is that you need but
it seems better to create a subclass of exprseq for this. The expression
sequence would be the symbol vector and you could print it in any way you
like. I don't think you need any of the properties of the symbol class
since GiNaC 0.8.1 can collect(), degree() etc. by (theoretically) arbitrary
objects.

Bye,
Christian

--