Build problems

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ThEP.Physik.Uni-Mainz.DE
Tue Feb 22 13:07:51 CET 2000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Patrick K Notz wrote:
> I'me trying to build ginac and am having problems getting 'configure'
> to find the readline and cln libraries.  I've installed them in
> directories (non-standard since I'm not root) under my account.  I
> just can't figure out how to tell configure/make to look there.  I've
> tried the suggestion in Section 3.2 of the tutorial but the syntax given
> doesn't work.  I've tried adding "LDFLAGS = $(LDFLAGS) /my/lib/dir" to
> all of the Makefile.in files but no luck again.  I'm not familiar with
> autoconf so I'm not sure which files I should try tweeking.  Can you
> offer any suggestions?

You shoudn't have to tweek Makefiles or Makefile.ins.  Just saying
$ make LDFLAGS="$(LDFLAGS) -L/my/lib/dir"
(and so on) gets the job done.  Also, your syntax, at least as you wrote
it, is screwed up---no -L.  Note that on the shell (as arguments to make)
there mustn't be spaces on both sides of the = , it won't be recognized
this way!  Please consult section 3.2 again, it is correct there.  Maybe
the verbose output from
$ libtool --finish
is helpful:
Libraries have been installed in:
   /usr/tmp/lib/

To link against installed libraries in a given directory, LIBDIR,
you must use the `-LLIBDIR' flag during linking.

 You will also need to do one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
     during linking
   - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
   - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

Keep on tryin'
           -rbk.
--
Richard Kreckel