eps bug

Richard B. Kreckel kreckel at ThEP.Physik.Uni-Mainz.DE
Mon Apr 3 18:58:53 CEST 2000

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Dr K.M. Briggs wrote:
> Installing GiNaC-0.5.4 on my redhat 6.0 system fails at the doc step:
>
> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/kbriggs/GiNaC-0.5.4/doc/tutorial'
> Running /usr/X11R6/bin/fig2dev -L eps -m 0.9 classhierarchy.fig classhierarchy.eps...
> Unknown graphics language eps
> Known languages are:
> acad box epic eepic eepicemu gif ibmgl jpeg latex mf pcx pic pictex png ppm ps pstex pstex_t textyl tiff tk tpic xbm xpm
>
> I upgraded my transfig package to the latest from redhat 6.1
> (Release 3.2 Patchlevel 1), but it has the same problem.
>
> Actually, changing the command to
> fig2dev -L ps -m 0.9 classhierarchy.fig classhierarchy.eps
> gives a perfectly good tutorial.ps.

This isn't the newest version.  Here is an except from the ChangeLog of
upstream transfig 3.2 Patchlevel 3:

:         o -L eps is required for Encapsulated PostScript now, instead of fig2dev
:           just using the -P (add showpage) option to distinguish EPS from PS

Sorry, but currently documentation is somewhat demanding on your
environment.  Bruno Haible has suggested to put everything into the
distribution or put a tarball of it on FTP.  As long as everything is
available from www.ginac.de I don't know if it's worth bothering.  What do
others think?

> Maybe the configure script should check whether the fig2dev version
> installed knows about eps?

Maybe this is feasible.  Do you have a patch ready?  I won't find the time
to do it until 0.6...

Regards
     -rbk.
--